Are you an athlete, a traveler, or someone that spends hours a day in front of a screen? If so, you might frequently experience back pain. Several physical therapists, including Gary Calabrese, DPT, believe that massage guns are a safe and effective approach to pain relief.
Calabrese says massage guns are also good for pre-activity muscle warm-up and post-activity cool-down.
Even if you don't have chronic back pain, you should consider using a percussion massage gun with caution and take your time learning how to use each feature.
Let's discuss the most effective massage gun methods for back pain.
How to use a massage gun on your back by yourself
You can do several things to maximize your massage gun's effectiveness. Before using a massage gun, attempt to relax your muscles as much as possible. While your sore back may make you naturally stiff, being tense adds discomfort, making the massage gun more difficult to use. Follow these steps to get the most out of your experience:
- The first step is to turn on the massage gun without pressing it against your body. Keeping the gun away from your body at first will give you a better sense of control.
- Second, use the massage gun to massage your lower or upper back muscles. It's crucial to remember that you should avoid intense pressure initially.
- After that, gently slide the percussion gun along the muscle. The goal is to move one inch per second or faster if possible.
- Stop and hold the massage tool in place for a few seconds if you encounter a muscle knot or a more sensitive location.
- While massaging, continue to breathe slowly and deeply.
How to use a massage gun for lower back pain
Start with the lowest setting on the muscle massager. The two options for controlling speed are MODE and STRENGTH. Using MODE, you can control the pulse frequency. If you discover that the lower speeds are ineffective, gradually increase the speed.
We recommend utilizing a massage gun for light back discomfort. But, if you have persistent pain, you should avoid using one and consult a doctor. A massage gun will come in handy if you suffer from frequent backaches due to your daily domestic activities or sitting for long periods.
Reaching your lower back on your own can be challenging; you may require help from others. If you're using the massage gun on your own, avoid forceful twisting because this can lead to persistent pain.
Massage your lower back with the massage gun from top to bottom on either side of the lower back. If it feels comfortable, try out some different movement techniques, being careful to avoid hitting your spine.
As you reach the Quadratus Lumborum (QL) muscles hidden beneath numerous layers of tissue, add some side-to-side motion to your message. You can also continue massaging your glutes and thighs down your body.
Massage these muscles for five to ten minutes for therapeutic advantages that reach deep into the muscle fibers.
Is a massage gun safe for lower back pain with infection or for pregnant women?
If you have a low back infection, you should avoid massage guns for the time being. If you have tendinitis, bursitis, or fasciitis, you should use them cautiously. We also encourage pregnant women to refrain from using a massage gun.
Benefits of massage gun for back pain
Getting a massage is said to be a low-risk, non-invasive treatment, making it the safest and most straightforward way to relieve back pain. A back massage for low back pain can be helpful. Some of the benefits are as follows:
- Muscle recovery: Massage guns provide deep tissue percussion massage, which enhances and speeds muscle recovery after exercises.
- Increasing blood flow: Gun massage relieves lactic acid from muscles and removes metabolic waste after a strenuous workout. It stimulates blood flow, allowing oxygen and nutrients to reach the muscles. And allowing them to begin to heal.
- Muscle stretching: A percussion massage gun massage also provides a moderate stretch to the muscles, increasing their range of motion. A massager before a workout will improve your performance and help prevent injuries by increasing muscular mobility.
- Releasing endorphins: Deep tissue massage releases endorphins, which help regulate hormones and boost mood by lowering cortisol levels and activating the production of endorphins.
- Reusability: The best part about the massage gun is that you can carry it. You can take it to the gym or the office and use it as needed to reduce muscle tension. You can also use different low back pain massage techniques to get relief.
What do you need to know about the massage gun?
If you have decided that the massage gun is good for you, you must ensure you buy the right one. Here are some significant factors to keep in mind while shopping for a massage gun:
- The intensity of the massage gun
- Vibration and percussion
- Ease of use
In addition, you need to know where not to use the massage gun. Avoid the following areas:
- Bony parts
- Bruises or open wounds
- If you have arthritis, fibromyalgia, osteoporosis, or any other musculoskeletal ailment, see your doctor before using.
The bottom line
All in all, the function of the massage gun is to relax your muscles. It can give you relief from back pain. However, using it without consulting a doctor can be a mistake.
In summary, yes, the massage gun is good for back pain. Before using a professional massage gun, you must know the procedure, consult a doctor, and understand your pain.
If you are clear on all the requirements mentioned above, Zarifa offers the best massage gun you need for your back pain. They are easy to carry, simple to operate independently, and approved by the FSA. Get your massage gun now and get rid of the pain!
All Zarifa USA products are HSA and FSA-eligible. You can contribute your health savings funds towards purchasing any of our products!